Job Number 19112794
Job Category Food and Beverage & Culinary
Location The Westin Brisbane| 111 Mary Street| Brisbane| Queensland|
Brand Westin Hotels & Resorts
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
At Westin| we are committed to empowering the well-being of our guests by
providing a refreshing environment| thoughtful amenities| and revitalizing
programming to help ensure that they leave feeling better than when they
arrived. We recognize that travel can be disruptive to our guests’ well-being|
and we’re energized to assist as partners in helping them maintain control and
soaring above it all while on the road. Everything we do is designed to help
guests be at their best| and they appreciate our supportive attitude|
anticipatory service and extensive knowledge on how to best assist them
throughout their stay. We are looking for dynamic people who are excited to
join the team and ready to jump into any situation to give a helping hand. If
you’re someone who has is positive| adaptable and intuitive| and has a genuine
interest in the well-being of others around you| we invite you to discover how
at Westin| together we can rise.
Accountable for the quality| consistency and production of the restaurant
kitchen. Exhibits culinary talents by personally performing tasks while
leading the staff and managing all food related functions. Coordinates menus|
purchasing| staffing and food preparation for the property|s restaurant. Works
with team to improve guest and employee satisfaction while maintaining the
operating budget. Must ensure sanitation and food standards are achieved.
Develops and trains team to improve results.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; 4 years experience in the culinary| food and
beverage| or related professional area.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Culinary Arts| Hotel and
Restaurant Management| or related major; 2 years experience in the culinary|
food and beverage| or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Ensuring Culinary Standards and Responsibilities are met for Restaurant
• Develops| designs| or creates new applications| ideas| relationships|
systems| or products| including artistic contributions for restaurant.
• Supervises restaurant kitchen shift operations and ensures compliance with
all Food & Beverage policies| standards and procedures.
• Maintains food preparation handling and correct storage standards.
• Recognizes superior quality products| presentations and flavor.
• Plans and manages food quantities and plating requirements for the
• Communications production needs to key personnel.
• Assists in developing daily and seasonal menu items for the restaurant.
• Ensures compliance with all applicable laws and regulations regulations.
• Follows proper handling and right temperature of all food products.
• Estimates daily restaurant production needs.
• Prepares and cooks foods of all types| either on a regular basis or for
special guests or functions.
• Checks the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards
• Determines how food should be presented and creates decorative food
Leading Kitchen Team
• Supervises and coordinates activities of cooks and workers engaged in food
• Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead| influence| and
encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making;
demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
• Leads shift teams while personally preparing food items and executing
requests based on required specifications.
• Supervises and manages restaurant kitchen employees. Managing all day-to-day
operations. Understanding employee positions well enough to perform duties in
• Encourages and builds mutual trust| respect| and cooperation among team
• Serving as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
• Ensuring and maintaining the productivity level of employees.
• Ensures employees are cross-trained to support successful daily operations.
• Ensures employees understand expectations and parameters.
• Establishes and maintains open| collaborative relationships with employees
and ensures employees do the same within the team.
Establishing and Maintaining Restaurant Kitchen Goals
• Sets and supports achievement of kitchen goals including performance goals|
budget goals| team goals| etc.
• Developing specific guidance and plans to prioritize| organize| and
accomplish daily kitchen operations work.
• Understands the impact of kitchen operation on the overall property
financial goals and objectives and manages to achieve or exceed budgeted
• Effectively investigates| reports and follows-up on employee accidents.
• Knows and implements company safety standards.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
• Provides services that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and
• Manages day-to-day operations| ensuring the quality| standards and meeting
the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
• Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand
guest needs| providing guidance| feedback| and individual coaching when
• Sets a positive example for guest relations.
• Emphasizes guest satisfaction during all departmental meetings and focuses
on continuous improvement.
• Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
• Handles guest problems and complaints.
• Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service