Job Number 20019580
Job Category Finance and Accounting
Location The Westin Brisbane| 111 Mary Street| Brisbane| Queensland|
Brand Westin Hotels & Resorts
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
At Westin| we are committed to empowering the well-being of our guests by
providing a refreshing environment| thoughtful amenities| and revitalizing
programming to help ensure that they leave feeling better than when they
arrived. We recognize that travel can be disruptive to our guests’ well-being|
and we’re energized to assist as partners in helping them maintain control and
soaring above it all while on the road. Everything we do is designed to help
guests be at their best| and they appreciate our supportive attitude|
anticipatory service and extensive knowledge on how to best assist them
throughout their stay. We are looking for dynamic people who are excited to
join the team and ready to jump into any situation to give a helping hand. If
you’re someone who has is positive| adaptable and intuitive| and has a genuine
interest in the well-being of others around you| we invite you to discover how
at Westin| together we can rise.
The Assistant Controller manages the day-to-day operation of the Accounting
Office. Primary responsibilities include financial analysis and financial
reporting| budgeting/forecasting| audit and control| asset and liability
reconciliation| working capital and cash control.
Education and Experience
• 4-year bachelor|s degree in Finance and Accounting or related major; highly
experienced in a Hotel finance role
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Assisting in Management of Accounting Team
• Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead| influence| and
encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making;
demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
• Oversees internal| external and regulatory audit processes.
• Ensures that regular on-going communication occurs with employees to create
awareness of business objectives| communicate expectations| and recognize
• Celebrates successes by publicly recognizing the contributions of team
• Establishes and maintains open| collaborative relationships with employees.
• Provides excellent leadership (e.g.| differentiates top performers| fosters
teamwork and encourages work/life balance).
• Ensures employees establish and maintain open| collaborative relationships
within their team.
• Participates in the employee performance appraisal process| providing
feedback as needed.
• Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to
Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and support the Peer
• Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently.
• Utilizes an |open door| policy.
• Solicits employee feedback.
Managing Projects and Policies
• Generates and provides accurate and timely results in the form of reports|
• Analyzes information and evaluates results to choose the best solution and
• Compiles| codes| categorizes| calculates| tabulates| audits| or verifies
information or data.
• Ensures that the P&L is accurate (i.e.| costs are properly matched to
revenue| costs are recorded in the proper accounts) and statements are
delivered to appropriate individuals in a timely manner.
• Reconciles balance sheet.
• Ensures tax rates used for sales/use tax are current and proper amounts are
collected and/or accrued.
• Ensures compliance with standard and local operating procedures (SOPs and
• Ensures account balances are supported by appropriate documentation in
accordance with SOPs.
• Reviews audit issues and makes corrections as necessary.
• Ensures property permits| licenses and if applicable vendor contracts are
• Leverages centralized accounting processes and shared services.
Demonstrating and Applying Accounting Knowledge
• Demonstrates knowledge of job-relevant issues| products| systems| and
• Keeps up-to-date technically and applying new knowledge to your job.
• Uses computers and computer systems (including hardware and software) to
program| write software| set up functions| enter data| or process information.
• Uses relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether
events or processes comply with laws| regulations| or standards.
• Leverages technology and effectively uses information systems and tools to
generate financial reports and provide managers with analytical support to
Proving Financial Information and Guidance to Others
• Informs and/or updates the executives| the peers and the subordinates on
relevant financial information in a timely manner.
• Attends critique meetings to review information with management team.
• Advises the Director of Finance on existing and evolving operating/financial
• Communicates financial concepts in a clear and persuasive manner that is
easy to understand and drives desired behaviors.
• Provide direction and assistance to other organizational units regarding
accounting and budgeting policies and procedures| and efficient control and
utilization of financial resources.
• Provides information to supervisors| co-workers| and subordinates by
telephone| in written form| e-mail| or in person.
Maintaining Finance and Accounting Goals
• Submits reports in a timely manner| ensuring delivery deadlines.
• Ensures profits and losses are documented accurately.
• Achieves and exceeds goals including performance goals| budget goals| team
• Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize| organize| and accomplish
• Monitors all taxes that apply| ensuring that taxes are current| collected
• Supports a strong accounting & operational control environment to safeguard
assets| improve operations and profitability and manage business risks.