Posting Date Sep 22, 2020
Job Number 20041888
Job Category Food and Beverage & Culinary
Location W Melbourne, 408 Flinders Lane, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Brand W Hotels
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
W Melbourne is the rebel between the streets, taking its design cues from Australia’s cultural capital and providing the back-lane entrance keys to what’s New/Next in the city. Extending the laneway culture inside, 294 bold rooms and suites peel back the layers and revel in the city’s history. There are five electric and daring bars and restaurants within the hotel, plus over 800 square metres of ultra-modern event space. W Melbourne is set to be the place to see and be seen in.
Boldly coloring outside the lines of luxury, W turns the traditional notion of the extravagant hotel on its head. Our irreverent attitude and taste for excess redefine revelry for the modern jet set. Our guests have a lust for a life less ordinary that drives them to demand more, experience it all, and hit repeat.
We share our guests’ passions, providing insider access to what’s new and what’s next. Moderation is not in our vocabulary and we know that lust for life demands more, not less. W guests soak it in and live each day with a mantra: Detox. Retox. Repeat. If you’re ready to create the energetic W scene that is magnetic to everyday disruptors around the world, then we invite you to explore a career with W Hotels.
Lollo, will be under the culinary creative direction of a renowned local chef and will take diners from day to night and beyond, celebrating the chefs mixed heritage and unique approach to menu curation. We’re looking for Talent who are passionate about delivering electric dining experiences that get the whole town talking.
Entry level management position that focuses on successfully accomplishing the daily objectives in the kitchen. Assists in leading staff while personally assisting in all areas of the kitchen, including food production; purchasing and kitchen sanitation. Position contributes to ensuring guest and employee satisfaction while maintaining the operating budget.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; 4 years experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Culinary Arts, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 2 years experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area.
CAST KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
Ensuring Culinary Standards and Responsibilities are Met
• Maintains food handling and sanitation standards.
• Performs all duties of Culinary and related kitchen area employees in high demand times.
• Oversees production and preparation of culinary items.
• Ensures employees keep their work areas clean and sanitary.
• Works with Restaurant and Banquet departments to coordinate service and timing of events and meals.
• Complies with loss prevention policies and procedures.
• Strives to improve service performance.
• Communicates areas in need of attention to staff and follows up to ensure follow through.
• Leads shifts while personally preparing food items and executing requests based on required specifications.
• Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
• Supervises and coordinates activities of cooks and workers engaged in food preparation.
• Checks the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
• Assists in determining how food should be presented and creates decorative food displays.
Supporting Culinary Team Activities
• Supervises daily shift operations.
• Ensures all employees have proper supplies, equipment and uniforms.
• Supervises staffing levels to ensure that guest service, operational needs and financial objectives are met.
• Ensures completion of assigned duties.
• Participates in the employee performance appraisal process, giving feedback as needed.
• Handles employee questions and concerns.
• Communicates performance expectations in accordance with job descriptions for each position.
• Participates in an on-going employee recognition program.
• Conducts training when appropriate.
• Monitors employee’s progress towards meeting performance expectations.
Maintaining Culinary Goals
• Participates in department meetings and continually communicates a clear and consistent message regarding the departmental goals to produce desired results.
• Supports and assists with new menus, concepts and promotions for the Restaurant outlets and Banquets.
Providing Exceptional Customer Service
• Sets a positive example for guest relations.
• Handles guest problems and complaints seeking assistance from supervisor as necessary.
• Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service within guidelines.
• Reports malfunctions in department equipment.
• Purchases appropriate supplies and manages food and supply inventories according to budget.
• Attends and participates in all pertinent meetings.